Friday, August 1, 2008

Reading

I'm not a "reading" person. The only time I ever enjoyed reading was in my high school literature classes. That mostly had to do with the fact that my teachers were awesome and didn't treat me like a kid. They respected me and my opinions of my readings (because if you know me at all, you'll know that I DO have opinions.) I so enjoyed reading The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, Beowolf, Great Expectations and other British lit materials.

However, now in my adult life, I just DON'T want to read. I would much rather watch the movie version of a book, even though most say that the book is better. Not sure why, but I just don't want to read normally.

Lately though, I have had the urge to read certain books. I want to learn more about the history of Christianity, about some of the key players in the Word; their background, their stories, their personalities, their ministry. I have purchased several books from recommended authors over the years and had every intention to read their books, and I have started some of them, and left a book mark wherever I left off, but never finished.

I have wanted to read The Power of a Praying Wife, The Life You've Always Wanted, His Needs/Her Needs, and recently Captivating. I actually think our new Growth Group will be doing Captivating as a study in the Fall.

I just have the desire to WANT to read now. Not necessarily that I want to READ, I just want the DESIRE to read. Does that make sense? So, if anyone has any good suggestions on where I should start with this I would gladly welcome them. I need to know how to get motivated and committed to reading and learn how to love and enjoy it. I guess I'm just afraid that the books that are suggested to me are going to turn out to be a disappointment. When in fact, I am the one who turns out to be the disappointment to myself.

Anyway, suggestions welcome.

No comments: